Is Money Necessary?

The concept of money does not make much sense to me.

I don’t think anything bad about money. I don’t think it is the root of all evil. :-) I don’t believe money changes people’s character. If there is a problem, it lies in our mentalities, not in the use of money itself.

To me, money is just one form of energy exchange at the physical level. I see nothing wrong in wanting money or being rich or charging money for whatever products or services we are offering. I don’t think being poor is more virtuous.

However, I’m totally broke. Even more so now that I’m not fit enough to do sessions. But even before that, I was already broke.

Rabbit Kids

Rabbit Kids

At some point I tried really hard to make money. It was a nice growth experience, I learned a lot. But I realized I just can’t get myself to be really excited when thinking about money. When I think about something like “I’ll travel to India!” I feel very happy and excited. Then I think “I’ll make lots of money!” and feel nothing but a flaccid “Yeah, why not…”.

Maybe there is some block or limiting belief in me that prevents me from wanting to make money. It’s possible. It’s difficult for me to read for myself accurately, as I lack the emotional distance. I think it is something else, though.

Money just doesn’t make much sense to me. Why can we not all just give our services or products to everybody for free? In a world of true abundance, that’s what we would do. And since we would be doing what we really love, we wouldn’t resent it. We would also receive everything we need just as freely. Can you imagine such a world? I can. Who would need money in such a world?

The concept of “deserving” money does not make any sense to me. I don’t believe that I don’t deserve money. I don’t believe that I deserve money either, nor that anybody deserves money more than anybody else. What does one have to do with the other?

I don’t understand “fair exchange” either. If I feel happy and do what I love all day, and I also generously receive everything I need and want, who cares whether I work a bit less or a bit more than my neighbor, or whether the person I give something to gives me exactly the equivalent back? Maybe I’ll give something to person A, who will give something to person B and C, and C gives something to D and D gives something to me. Who cares?

It’s not like I have anything against money. I just think it’s not necessary.

Rabbit Mom with Babies

Rabbit Mom with Babies

I used to think that making money was one of the basic challenges in life, something everybody but me manages to do easily. I also used to think I cannot be a truly evolved person as long as I haven’t figured out how to be financially successful. Like, first you make money, then you do more important things. Now these thoughts make me smile.

If there’s one thing I have learned about myself in those past years, it’s that I cannot go against my soul. When I try to fit in in spite of what I believe in, it never works. Social conditioning might say “You need to make money blah blah blah!!!” but what if it’s just not who I am?

When I imagine my future, super-successful life, where I have reached all of my goals, I don’t see myself as a rich person. Not even as a person making a decent living. Actually, I see myself as having no money at all.

Whenever I think about the whole money thing, I cannot help but find it absurd and think “Why on Earth should I make money? We don’t need money to live!”. And it’s true, we don’t. We might think we need money to buy food and pay the bills and build a home and so on – but none of this actually requires money. We can still build homes, produce food, go to school, run hospitals, make movies, and everything else, without money. We can organize ourselves in businesses, work groups, teams and big companies, too. None of this requires money to work.

Imagine teachers teaching purely out of love. You need a house, people who love to build houses come and build your house. When you have an accident, people who love to take care of injured people bring you to the hospital, and a surgeon who loves to save lives performs an operation on you. When you go shop you put stuff in your basket and just take it home. Then you do your own work that you love wherever it is needed. And that’s it.

I believe a world without money is possible. I sometimes hear that if we took money out of the equation, nobody would work anymore. I don’t share this belief. It is based on the assumption that humans are fundamentally lazy and won’t do anything if not forced. Maybe even that humans are stingy and greedy and won’t do anything if not motivated by strong personal interest. But I believe that humans have an intrinsic, genuine drive to do fulfilling work and are naturally generous. We are creative and expansive. We enjoy leading meaningful lives. I bet we would not spend all our days drinking cocktails on the beach.

Sleeping Blind Rabbit Babies

Sleeping Blind Rabbit Babies

They say “How about the unpleasant tasks like cleaning the toilets or collecting garbage? Nobody would do this if they weren’t forced to in order to get money to survive”. This reminds me of the rabbits. I love animals. I especially love the rabbits here on the farm. I happily clean their cages. Touch their poop, have dirt all over me. I don’t mind. I like it, I find it beautiful, because I love the rabbits so much.

When we really love, when we have deep respect, then every task becomes sacred and beautiful, even the most mundane one. If we could shift our attitude we wouldn’t need money to force us, because unpleasant tasks wouldn’t exist anymore. If we had the same abiding love and respect I feel for the rabbits for all of our fellow humans, plants and animals, for our work, our planet, our home and everything we do, we wouldn’t mind cleaning up toilets or collecting garbage. It would be just as sacred and beautiful as any other task. (And if we had more love and respect, maybe we wouldn’t make a disgusting mess for others to clean up, either.)

One of the reasons why I charge money for my sessions is that I have noticed that people tend to value what they get way more if they have to pay for it. Those clients who invest a considerable amount of money for a session tend to value and respect my work more. They do their homework more seriously. They are more motivated, more open to allowing healing to happen. Down the road they usually get better results than those who were just out to get something for free.

Why is it we think something must be worthless if it’s free? Why do we let a price tag tell us what something is worth? Why do we respect only what we have to pay for?

Humanity has no respect. We pollute and destroy Nature. We torture and abuse animals. We are disrespectful and arrogant. So much that we need painful sacrifices to value what we get in return for them. At some point we’ll have to start charging for the rain, the sun, the air we breathe and every flower in the fields for us to realize how valuable they are.

When we really tune into respect and start valuing everything and everyone, we’ll be ready for a world without money. We’ll value what we get even if we don’t pay for it. We’ll work simply because our work makes us happy and fulfilled, whether we get something for it or not. At that point it won’t matter anymore whether we use money or not. It’ll be irrelevant. We just won’t need it anymore.

We all know about unconditional love. How about unconditional work?

I appreciate your time and attention. :)
Invitation
If you enjoy my articles, I invite you to subscribe to my newsletter so you don't miss any!
Related Articles:

17 Responses to Is Money Necessary?

• Jack Christopher says:

*As Emperor Palpatine* Good, goood! All is going precisely according to my plan.

In a sense you do have “limiting” views on money. They simply limit you from a thing you deep down don’t want!

I find the words, empowering, disempowering and limiting (belief) often thought-killing. “Limiting” relative to what? Aren’t all choices/directions valid?

Oops, you probably know this already. But I *needed* to make that point anyway. :)

• Shveta says:

True money is just a physical exchange.. but then so are a lot of other things on this plane in our lives that we are required to deal with …give and take (of respect, love etc) in relationships, engaging in activities that really dont benefit others except that they generate employment , etc etc.. Leaving that aside, money should not be the be all of our existence, when that happens.. we really tend to lose focus, we should not make it a yardstick for our success either.. Personally Id love to live in a state where there is no pressure to earn money for living..:)
    much love you Rosine

• Katja says:

I completely agree with your article! I think people are lazy only when they have to do some work they don’t enjoy, then they’d prefer drinking coctails. I already see this exchange without money working on some level in my life, especially with friends of course, but not only. Have you seen a movie, called “Living without money?”

Loving vibes!

• Jeanne says:

I surely agree with you. Money is a kind of exchange, it’s necessary in the kind of civilisation we built. But this civilisation is going to fall down at the moment and perhaps the human being will have to find a new way of exange. All my life, I worked a lot. I’m not so old but I tried different works… Be sure that it’s not where you work the more that you make a lot of money…The money system doesn’t make me feel happy. I prefer to connect with the Universe and ask for what I need. And I’m always open to respond when I’m asked for anything. This system of exchange goes well for me. Money is very usefull, but it can’t be The King anymore. It’ must become a secondary system, a paralell system of exchange.

• Rune says:

This a very nice article and an interesting thought. I got many “buts” along the way, while reading it, but you answered them along the way, as well. It would be really nice to live in such a world. But, naturally, there’s a billion things to take into consideration before being able to make such a change. At least some.
    It seems to me that each and every individual would have to grow up, learning these values. I can just imagine so many groups who would never change their views. Maybe their kids would, in x number of generations. But imagine what it takes to change the world in such a way that people would grow up to learn what they love to do instead of what they need to do. I can imagine that it would take a very long time before we’d overcome stages such as jealousy, feeling of unjustice, and the fact that there would, for a very long time, groups of people who simply love doing nothing and receiving everything.
    This doesn’t mean that I disagree, of course. I agree that this would work, and that it would be better, after very very much change in how the entire earth views the entire earth.

• Tarjei Mattisson Funderud says:

The “respect” for money doesn’t only come from the money itself, but often also from the work/possibilites that lie behind, so that if you use money, you know that you will have less of that work/possibility in store, so it automatically makes you want to get more out of whatever you’re spending it on. If you don’t spend money, it doesn’t become as big a deal, because you don’t really lose anything material. This only proves your point actually. :P

I also think that people who use money on it will be more determined to try to make it work, or they wouldn’t have spent that money. To charge money, is also a claim that it IS worth something, so it will automatically be more interesting just because of that. This is what money have come to mean in today’s society. And people who work and make a decent amount of money so that they CAN pay, are probably more structured as well. I’m very unstructured. I am ashamed. It’s one of my biggest weaknesses. There’s no reason NOT to be structured. Maybe it doesn’t cost enough or earn enough for me to value it yet? ;D

So I completely agree with what you say, I’m just repeating it in different wording and including more elements, because I want to sound as smart as you! ;)

I love your thoughts. I agree. I also think it’s possible, but I DO think it would be hard to get there and let go of money. HOW would we do that? Think of all the rich people! They would be completely equal to every other human being -what a wonderful world THAT would be. Evil businesses=GONE! :D

Peace and love <3
    Tarjei

• Jack Christopher says:

I encourage people to author their own economic views. But there’s lots of stuff out there to help.

“Sacred Economics” is a book that details the issues facing our current system, and ways change to a new one. It’s by Charles Eisenstein. He writes from a conscious living perspective. It’s serialized here: http://www.realitysandwich.com/blog/1736

“Ascent of Humanity” is also good and available free.

Here’s practical stuff on how to change things:

And there’s *way* more where that came from. I’ve taken a level in badass on this topic. I’m wealthy in resources about going down this path. Email me.

• Brandi says:

I love this article, and I’m so happy you wrote it. I’ve been feeling the same way about money, and I’ve always struggled to understand why I need it. However, I had many limiting beliefs around money and I’m actively working to clear them. What I’ve learned is that, perhaps humans are not yet at the level of consciousness needed in order for a money-free society to work. I love the revolutionary tone in the article in that humans do not appreciate something unless there’s a price attached to it. And money is the conduit for so much suffering in the world. But I also realize, from being broke, that money = freedom…at least for me. Money is also energy, which many spiritually-focused people know. So exchanging a sincere “thank you” is equal to paying someone $50 if that $50 is a sincere expression of one’s thanks. The interesting thing is, $50 can mean a whole lot to one person…and nothing to someone else. But just the same, a “thank you” can mean so much to one, little to another. So, I guess the way I see money right now is that it’s humanity’s training wheels for learning how to offer and exchange intangible values (like respect, appreciation, joy…or even emotions of displeasure etc).

Money is also a major topic in my life, as it seems to be for most people. It seems I’m here on this Earth to master money and teach others its true value- as a conduit for exchanging love in its many, abstract expressions. I say this because my aura colors, my numerology chart, astrology chart, and human design chart, as well as, intuitive readings have all told me that “Money” is a major goal in my lifetime and that I’m on the ‘path of the millionaire.’ “What?!? No way :(” is how I would always react, but I can’t deny the mounting evidence in this regard. So, I’m exploring this money topic further, and I’m excited to see what I find. Unrelated..but hey! I see 11:11 at the bottom of your page. I’ve been seeing this number everywhere for the past month! :p

P.s. I have a question- Doesn’t money make things easier to express one’s appreciation for something received? For instance, if a person that loves building, builds my home…but I have nothing that person wants in return…it’s ok because that person will get what they need from someone else who enjoyed giving it. Yet, I would feel a little sadness for not being able to directly thank, in a tangible manner, someone who I appreciate. But money allows me to directly & tangibly thank someone I appreciate. Since we’re humans living a physical reality, it seems the tangible manners of expressing gratitude are essential.

• Sylvia says:

You’re so right, Rosine. This much I know is true: when you are doing the thing you love, you will pay someone else to do it! You don’t do it for money, or power, or accolades, or anything else that our society has deemed ‘worthy’ of pursuit – you do it simply because you cannot NOT do it. You do it because in the doing of it, you are your real self, your true self.

• Jack Christopher says:

If I may answer some of the questions brought up:

Money Quick FAQ (alpha vesion 0.0.1) :)

• Isn’t money just an (energy) exchange medium?
    No. Money has a few roles: standard of value, exchange medium and store of value.

When we use it as a value standard, we express the value of things in quantified (dollar) amounts. There are issues with that. Does a price truely reflect the value of something? Is it the only or best way to determine the value of all things?

No. We don’t have to. And there are others ways. See article above.

Isn’t the current money system “neutral”?
    • No. In most countries, the gov’t gives itself or corporate banks a monopoly on money creation. The simplified version is that they create money out of nothing, and charge society interest on its use. They benefit, while we perpetually “owe” them more and more. That’s part of the “debt crisis” today. The system inherently values scarcity. And that’s just one issue. There are many more.

• Are there other money systems?
    Yes. There are many different money systems we could implement, if we still want a money-based system. Right now, people are creating alternative/local currencies like: demmurage, LETs, time dollars, mutual credit clearing, BitCoin etc.

• Do we need money to create a modern society?
    No. Moneyless societies have existed in the past. And we can continue to create them into the future. Fact is, our current society is part moneyless. It would breakdown if people stopped doing unpaid work. Think about household work, “consulting” advice from friends, even babies freely getting milk from mothers.

Supposedly we need money to facilitate complex trade anf simplify transactions to create complex things. But like in open source software, complex things can be created through peer production. That’s where people directly come together to create the thing that they want, and give it away for free.

To create a moneyless *society* we need do more and more of that. We need to tap into the abundance that already exists, and expand into it where it “doesn’t”.

• How can we start creating this, right now?
    Many things. But that’s another FAQ. :) One thing is to expand your gift circle. Exchange with more people with money.

• Eh, this is a disempowering path. This is too idealistic. You’ll just suffer lightworker syndrome and scarcity and fail. Go study properity programming!

It’s not “disempowering”. If you truly believe you’re the author of your reality, you have the ability to change it into whatever you want. Changing the social system is part of that, regardless of how impossible it might seem. Is it truly your path to just take things as they are as a given? That’s something you must ask yourself.

And lightworker syndrome doesn’t apply here. Asiding the issue with the concept in general, a moneyless world stills lets people get value for value. You’re just changing the specifics of how you do it.

• I still don’t want this. And it contradicts Big Name and followers who I derive 99.9% of my views from. :)

Inevitably some people just favor our current money/economic system or something similar. Maybe they view a moneyless system as far off, if not impossible. It’s a valid preference. And it’s seems to be the standard, yet unconsciously held view in most personal development circles. Again, it’s a valid path as long it’s a conscious choice. But be aware of the alternatives, and notice the consequences of your preference.

Copyleft – Do whatever license.

• Jack Christopher says:

If I may answer some of the questions brought up:

Money Quick FAQ (alpha vesion 0.0.1) :)

• Isn’t money just an (energy) exchange medium?

No. We don’t have to. And there are others ways. See article above.

Isn’t the current money system “neutral”?

• Are there other money systems?

• Do we need money to create a modern society?

• How can we start creating this, right now?
    Many things. But that’s another FAQ. :) One thing is to expand your gift circle. Give more, live in the gift.

Besides it seems we’re headed for a big change anyway.

Copyleft – Do whatever license. :)

• Lena says:

Hi Rosine! I hope you are feeling better now!

I thought about how to answer that question Is Money Necessary? Then I came to realization that for me the answer is it’s absolutely irrelevant. Yes, I would prefer money to no money since I associate money with abundance and it would take a lot to change that belief and it would be a wasted effort anyway. Belief that really needs changing is the one of scarcity. When in abundance mindset, does it really matter in what way abundance shows up? I don’t think so. Am I going to limit my reality and say that I want abundance in all ways but money? Doesn’t make sense to me.

Copyright © 2014 Rosine Caplot. All Rights Reserved.